We’ve all heard it said that it’s easier to keep a happy client than to lose an unhappy one. The unfortunate truth is that unhappy people are more likely to spread their ill feelings about something or someone (whether justified or not). Here’s a few excellent ways to get your happy clients to spread the word about you.
- Video testimonials — Video is an extremely valuable marketing tool in today’s high-tech world. Ask your clients if they would be willing to give you a video testimonial. Most people today have an HD quality camera that can take both pictures and videos right from their smartphones. Put all your testimonials together and post it to YouTube, your website, blog, and social media.
- Referral rewards — To encourage referrals, try offering a “Referral Rewards” program. This could be in the form of a free month of service, discount on tax return preparation, a gift card or something else of value to the client.
How many times have you read this sentence: “The best compliment I can receive is a referral from a client”? We love referrals because they let us know that we are doing a great job and that our client has the trust and confidence in us that we will do the same for someone else.
- Make your website a testimonial machine — Provide an opportunity for clients to post a testimonial on your website. This is easily done by creating a form on your site where people can just “fill in the blanks.” If you have a WordPress site, you can find plenty of testimonial plug-ins that are easily installed on your site.
- Request feedback — Ask your clients to complete a survey and email or mail it (include a stamped, self-addressed envelope) back to you.
- Shout-outs — Your clients should already be connected to you on social media. Publicly congratulate them on their achievements, birthdays or other special events. Write a blog post about awesome customers and specifically add their name to the post. Then, send a link to the post. If you’re sending out email blasts to your prospect list each time you post, this offers a great opportunity for them to see your dedication to your clientele.
- Timing is important — When you ask for the referral is important. If you just saved a client a large sum of money on their tax return or you helped bail them out of a tough situation with an audit or the IRS, this is the perfect time to ask for a written referral over email or in person. Be aware of these situations and take advantage of them.
These are just a few ways to get your happy clients to spread the word about you.
Todd Steinberg, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Todd Steinberg offers more than 20 years of experience emphasizing sales, marketing and business development in the industry of marketing accounting services. The scope of Todd’s experience has spanned virtually all aspects of the accounting practice marketing industry. A respected leader in the industry, his experience includes developing new marketing strategies, NCI program sales, integrating financial planning and payroll services into accounting practices, providing sales and marketing support to NCI’s 4,500+ clients, hiring and training of marketing personnel for accounting firms nationwide and speaking at regional and national conferences as an authority on marketing accounting services.
His career includes leadership roles such as serving as the National Seminar Director at NCI’s Practice Development Seminar, Director of NCI’s Practice Development Coaching program and Director of Monitoring and Support. He is also responsible for leading NCI’s accounting practice sales division and has been personally involved in the sale of over 125 firms nationwide. Todd is Series 7, 66, Life, Accident & Health Licensed. In his spare time he enjoys working out and spending time with his wife Jessica and three young children Sydney, Ben & Brooklyn.